This page may contain links that earns us a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Make Birch Beer?
- Popularity of craft beer compared to its classic ancestor, birch beer
- How to make birch beer in 7 easy steps
- Ingredients and equipment needed to make birch beer
- History of birch beer and its health benefits
- Variations, serving tips, and conclusion
No one can deny the popularity of craft beers these days, but what about its classic ancestor – birch beer?
This old-fashioned beverage has a long history and is still popular among those in the know. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to make it in just 7 easy steps.
Ingredients for Making Birch Beer
- 4 quarts of water
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons root beer extract
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 cup birch bark
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon anise oil (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground wintergreen leaves (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon citric acid
Equipment for Making Birch Beer
- A 5-gallon pot
- A strainer or cheesecloth for straining the syrup
Step-by-Step for Making Birch Beer
- Start by boiling 4 quarts of water in a 5-gallon pot. Once boiling, remove from heat.
- Add two cups of brown sugar to the boiling water and stir until dissolved.
- Add 2 tablespoons of root beer extract and a package of yeast to the mixture and stir until fully dissolved.
- Put 1 cup of birch bark in another pot with a quart of water and bring to a boil for 10 minutes before adding it to the mixture along with ¼ cup of vinegar. Stir until fully dissolved then remove from heat.
- Strain syrup through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth into another container before letting it cool to room temperature (at least an hour).
- Once cool add in optional flavorings such as anise oil or wintergreen leaves (in powder form). Also, add ¼ teaspoon of citric acid to balance out flavors (you can adjust the flavor according to desired taste).
- Finally, bottle your birch beer! Store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks then refrigerate for up 3 months—enjoy!
History of Birch Beer
This tasty, traditional, slightly effervescent beverage has been around for quite a while! In fact, it was first enjoyed by Native Americans centuries ago who extracted sap from birch trees and fermented it.
But settlers of North America quickly adopted the custom and so Birch Beer – or Sassafras Beer – became all the rage during the colonial era. A delightful beverage with a rich history? Talk about stand-the-test-of-time good!
Health Benefits of Birch Beer
Deliciousness aside, birch beer has a whole host of health benefits to boast about. With its farm-to-bottle birch tree sap, it’s full of vitamins C and E, plus antioxidants that guarantee your cells stay healthy from nasty free radicals.
Spice up your immune system and get those digestive juices flowing with the help of some good old-fashioned birch beer!
Variations of Birch Beer
There’s something special brewing when it comes to birch beer – each sip is custom-crafted to fit your region and mood! Whether you’re in the mood for something sweet and honey-tastic, or spicy and full of personality, this classic beverage has got it all. Why not try a ginger-infused twist?
Or how about a blackberry-salted spin? Or if you’re feeling extra daring, whip up a spiced version that packs a flavor punch like no other. No matter what your preference, let the birch beer begin!
Serving Birch Beer
This delectable beverage can be served solo or act as a mixer for fun cocktails – try it with whiskey, rum, or gin for a flavorful kick. And if you are abstaining from alcohol, don’t worry – birch beer is a great party option and tastes great when served cold or over ice. Spice things up by adding a sprig of mint or lemon slice to your glass!
Making your own birch beer at home may seem daunting but it’s actually quite simple when armed with knowledge about the ingredients and equipment needed and an understanding of each step required in making this classic beverage! I hope you’ve enjoyed this blog post on how to make birch beer – happy brewing!
Are you looking for the perfect way to get your beer from the bottle or can to your mouth with minimal mess? Well, look no further! A beer funnel is …
Are you wondering how much alcohol is in Modelo beer? Read on and you’ll find out everything you need to know about this beloved Mexican beer! Modelo is a popular …
Ever heard someone say “hold my beer” and been curious what it actually meant? Well, you’ve come to the right place. We’re gonna dig down deep and explore this popular …